Truck Stop Electrification

Published on: 04/11/18 10:49 AM

Electrified parking spaces (EPS), also known as truck stop electrification (TSE), provide truck drivers the necessary services, such as heating, air conditioning, or appliances, without requiring them to idle their engine.

There two types of systems for TSEs: Single-System Electrification and Dual-System Electrification

Single-System Electrification

In single-system electrification, off-board equipment at the truck stop provides internet, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC). These HVAC systems are contained in a structure above (called a gantry) or on a pedestal beside the truck parking spaces. A hose from the HVAC system is connected to the truck window and, in some cases, to a computer touch screen that enables payment.

These stand-alone systems are generally owned and maintained by private companies that charge an hourly fee. To accommodate the HVAC hose, an inexpensive window template may be required in the truck.

Dual-System Electrification

Dual-system electrification, also known as “shorepower,” requires both onboard and off-board equipment so trucks can plug into electrical outlets at the truck stop. To use dual-system electrification, trucks must be equipped with AC equipment or an inverter to convert 120-volt power, electrical equipment, and hardware to plug in to the electrical outlet. Necessary electrical equipment might include an electrical HVAC system.

Truck stop outlets are owned by the truck stop or by a private company that regulates use and fees. The trucking company or driver owns and maintains the onboard equipment.

When you’re off the road, TSEs are necessary services. When you’re on the road, semi-truck roadside assistance is a necessary service. Make sure you have the right plan for your truck or fleet.